Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mission Accomplished

Whoo Hoo! I am officially back on the day shift. I have worked night shifts on a rotating basis for 7 years now, but after almost a year on days this night stuff has kicked my butt. I think it is because since I knew it was temporary and not my permanent lifestyle I was pretty good about keeping my schedule on my days off. This meant that I was not miserably tired at work, but it also meant almost no socialization with anyone outside of work because while I am all wound up and awake at 3 am, not many other people are. When I was on nights before it was too tempting to screw up my sleep schedule in an effort to actually be out in the daylight hours. Now I have no excuse not to get that blood work done to check my iron levels. No excuse except that the nurse who has to order the blood work refuses to return my calls. This is the last hurdle in the way of actively trying to get pregnant.

Yesterday and today are my days off and I knew that I had to get that blood work situation straightened out or I would not have another chance until next Monday. Yesterday the Husband asked me to call our Dr's office and schedule an appointment for him to have his tummy looked at. For the last 5 or 6 years he has suffered from occasional bouts of what has been diagnosed, after much testing, as Diverticulitis. He has it mostly under control but has recently had another flare up and just wants to discuss medications with our new Dr. When I called to make his appointment, I mentioned to the receptionist that I had been trying for about 3 weeks to get the lab paperwork needed to have my iron levels checked again. She assured me should would personally deliver the message and someone would call me back. No one did. Surprise. So today I decided that while I was our running errands, I would just drop by to pick up the paperwork the Husband needed to fill out and stand in front of the desk until someone decided to give me my lab papers. I was all pumped up for a confrontation, but instead I was walking back to my car with the forms in hand within 2 minutes of walking in the door.

I headed straight over to the lab and spent 30 minutes in an empty waiting room because despite the fact that I signed in, I was so quiet they forgot I was there. I will have to remember to turn the magazine pages louder next time.

Lucky for me my favorite Lab Tech was on duty. This woman is amazing with a needle. I point out my best arm and she gets it on the first stick every time and I barely feel a thing. This woman has skills.

She is also about 8 months pregnant and due in the beginning of November. She has the cutest baby bump and was so excited when she told me it was her first and is going to be a girl. And I was truly happy for her. It hit me in the car, I was really happy for her. There was no jealousy or self pity, just joy that she is about to have a baby that she obviously really wants. Maybe this is a sign.

I should have the lab results back in a few days. No doubt I will have to use my lunch break to go to the Dr's office to get my results. I really hope my iron levels are in normal range. Especially since we kind of tried this month. I know we should have waited, but it just kind of happened. I am pretty sure the timing was much too late, but I didn't chart this month (just needed a break) so I can't say for sure.

No comments: