Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Fun with Femara

Last night was my last dose of Femara for this cycle. I took the 2.5 mg pill each night at bedtime for 5 nights (cycle days 5-9) starting on Friday.

The reason the Dr. decided to go with Femara rather than the previously discussed Clomid is that Femara has less side effects and is out of your system within 48 hours. Clomid can hang around for weeks. That was a positive, but I was a bit freaked out to learn that Femara is actually used to treat breast cancer in post-menopausal women. The little informational sheet from the pharmacy warned about taking this drug if you are pregnant or intend to become pregnant. I had done my research earlier in the day, but the Husband did not read anything until Saturday morning. I got an early morning wake up from him wanting to be sure I had been given the correct drug.

As far as side effects, I have to admit it was not too bad. Possibly because I was expecting to be hit with it all. Early Saturday morning, about an hour after I took the pill, I woke up and thought I felt dizzy. I went back to sleep and when I woke up a few hours later I no longer felt dizzy, but I did feel a little nauseous. The nausea was probably real, but I think I might have imagined the dizzy part.

Saturday and Sunday felt normal. I do believe that I did get the loss of appetite bit, but not too severely and frankly, I kind of liked that part.

Monday I woke up about 3 am with a stomach ache. It was gone before I got up for the day, but I was fairly nauseous all day and very achy.

Tuesday was normal and now it is Wednesday, the day after my last dose.

I am scheduled for a scan on Friday morning. I am hoping the results are good, because I really don't feel any different. I have not felt anything going on in the pelvic area. I have read several stories of women who were doubled over in pain because their ovaries had produced so many follicles. I don't feel any different than normal. Maybe my ovaries are just naturally tough. I am fairly sure I have a very low tolerance for pain, so that can't be it, but maybe those women were just imagining the pain.

Well, I will know soon enough if it worked for me. More updates as they come.

No comments: